Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Letter Week 9
Dear Fellow Students and Instructor,
I am writing you about my experience so far in English 102. We are now in our ninth week of the semester and over the half way mark. I have experienced many challenges during this Spring semester. I took a whole year off school because of my pregnancy and I am seeing how much different things are when you have a baby. I decided to take four classes and I initially thought that would be fine. I was so wrong. I didn't anticipate acquiring a second job. I couldn't say no to the opportunity. Now I am working 6 days a week. I have a fantastic babysitter, husband and mom that help me with the baby, however if he gets sick my world stops. And this semester he has gotten sick 4 times. Also I have had several unexpected things come up such as my husband getting in a car accident among other things. I am doing okay in my classes. I could definitely do better though. I do use due dates as motivation to finish assignments. I haven't expected that the work was going to take so much effort and time though. I am learning that online is harder than being in the classroom. It takes ALOT of self-discipline. I am constantly trying to do my assignment earlier than the due date and I am doing a better job.
I have really enjoyed the reading in this class. All of the reading has really interested me. They are educational and the are interesting. The Winters Bone has really been fun. It was a great fast read. I totally got into it and couldn't put it down. Then I watched the Movie. I liked the book so much more. I felt like they didn't completely illustrate what I had imagined. My husband really enjoyed it though. I just think the book was extremely descriptive. Sometimes to the point of shock and disgust, but I am sure that is what Woodrell was going for.
In general writing is hard for me. I am not a natural. Literary analysis has been both good and hard. I like to learn and critic. I don't necessarily like to argue strong points. I have to many thoughts about something to go on and on about a single thesis. I have never had large strong views about anything. I like to be open to all points of view and having to crack down on one is very difficult.
I hope to beat my struggle with writing. I want to make concise accurate arguments even if is something that doesn't come naturally. I think it essential to have great writing skill. It will definitely improve my career if I could write a breathtaking news letter about laser, skincare or injectibles. I need to start doing my research at the beginning of the week. I need to form a plan about how I am going to accomplish the weeks assignments. And if it is an essay I need to outline and organize my thoughts, research, cites, and make it happen.
Thank you for taking time to read my letter. I think it is a great way to motivate me to get in to gear and finish off the semester with vigor.
Yours Truly,
Shannen Alban
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shannen,
ReplyDeleteI don't have any children but definitely understand the balancing act between life and school. Its sounds like you are ridiculously busy. I had a different opinion of the readings. I didn't care for most, but did enjoy Winter's Bone to an extent. When I viewed the film of Winter's Bone, I was also disappointed. It failed to create the dramatic effect in the novel. Literary analysis has provided challenges for me as well. I tend to have more ideas to incorporate than a proper thesis should contain. I hope you continue to improve with organization and excel in your writing. Good luck.
-Aaron
Good job on getting back into school I give you all the props in the world. Keep up the good work even though its tough and right on with working on your assignments ahead of time it really helps.
ReplyDelete